Thursday, February 25, 2010

A Little Update...

Spent the week up in Owego with some of my family. It's a cute, small town sistering Binghampton and Ithaca. My uncle owns "Front and Center" a kitchen/homegoods store on Main Street.

The night we decide to come home, halfway through it started blizzarding. My Godfather owns a Trailblazer SS and because of the wheels being supersport, they're made thinner which makes it harder to drive in the snow. Not to mention we could barely see out the front windshield. It felt like the beginning credits of Star Wars where the stars are shooting at the screen. So with the dogs in tow, we stopped at a Howard Johnson in Liberty, NY for the night.

And by dogs in tow, I mean we had to sneak them in. When we had called the Days Inn they told us no dogs were allowed and that the other hotels had the same policy. But what were we to do? We couldn't continue, so we figured if found out they'd have to understand the circumstances.

Besides, my bloodsugar was high and they watch out for me during the night, barking or nudging me usually when my bloodsugar goes significantly higher or lower. It's amazing how they sense it. It's a known fact that animals do, too.

Lexi is also like a big furry babybear that usually sleeps snuggled into me, with Calvin's little curly as down by my feet so I was kept completely warm and protected.


I have to admit though, I'm so happy to be home. Despite the rain and snow it's so amazing to sleep in my posturepedic bed with my tempurpedic pillow as opposed to a blowup mattress on the floor or a hotel floor.


In sexellent news, tomorrow is the John Mayer concert at Madison Square Garden with Chloe. She's been my best friend since birth (our parents grew up on the Lower East Side together). I think I love her unconditionally even more than I did before. But sorry babe, that gorgeous being John is all mine. Heh.


Spent today calling different venues about open mic's. Have two set up for this coming week. Monday is Sidewalk Cafe at 8pm (94 Avenue A). Wednesday is Birch Coffee (7 East 27th Street between Madison and Fifth Avenue, Gershwin Hotel) also at 8pm. Apparently Birch fills up fast so I'm going to be there earlier to get a good spot.
For now it's going to be just me singing accapella. Probably do a couple of my own and maybe a cover thrown in if time permits.

Called Queens College to take a tour of the school next week. Waiting for a response, sent me right to voicemail. Will have to call back tomorrow. Also have an appointment at Brooklyn College on Tuesday.
I'm becoming more excited about school actually. Can't wait to start studying my roots and finally get there.

Back to Upcoming shows though...

This Saturday, the 27th, if you're in Staten Island go check out my friend AJ's band IN BUENO'S AIRES at Martini Red (372 Vanduzer Street). They go on at 11pm - 12am. This will be their last show until April due to travelling arrangements, so you should catch them if you can.

Tom Moran Band is playing at Ella Lounge on Tuesday. Apparently the venue is reminiscent of the 20's and 30's and is a bit fancy. The free beer sounds nice too.

Vision Through Sound is playing up in Centerreach, NY. I don't know if I'll be able to make this one, only if I can somehow hitch a ride, then I most certainly will.

Nothing else is that eyecatching until a bit later in the month. There are a few punk shows going on here and there, but to be honest I'm a bit sick of that scene. Don't get me wrong, I love it but I was so obsessed with it when I was younger that I think I'm just looking to expand my variety. Besides, getting pushed into bars, hair pulled, stomped, beer spatted, makeup smudged; it's only fun every once in a while.

My friend Elijah's band Jump For The Sales is doing a Battle of the Bands at Sullivan Hall on the 14th. I don't know who else is playing but JFTS is pretty funky and always put on a good show, so it should be good and worth it. Besides, I love nothing more than discovering new (live) music.

Nuetra, Viva Mayday, Datura and SHAPES are playing the 19th at The Tank (45th street between 8th and 9th). I've never seen any of those bands live, but what I've heard through Myspace and word of mouth, I've dug.

The 20th I'm conflicted. Elefant Walk as well as Exemption are playing a Battle of the Bands at either Webster Hall or the Knitting Factory, it's a surprise.
My good friends "The Rejects" are also playing at Webster Hall. Went to school with the drummer Alex, even played a few art gallery talent shows together at the woOOOoonderful Highschool of Art and Design.
I'm hoping they both play Webster so it will be easier. Also then I can network them to play some shows together and open eachother's music up to a whole other set of people. That'd be pretty cool.

The 27th is the DIGAMY cd release show. I'll be Facepainting and sharpie tattooing. Apparently I'm going to get a shout out which will be super rad too. Another great band named Freedomhead will also be performing as well as a few other bands I haven't heard of. Will be an adventure (a crunk one) for sure.

The 28th is my 19th birthday.
Usually I throw a big themed party; last year it was "white trash", the year before that was "Rock Of Love", the year before that was vaudeville, bellydancer and all.
This year, I don't know what I want to do. Just good friends, good beer, good music is good enough for me. Unless someone wants to throw a surprise party. I wouldn't mind that my lovely cyberstalkers.
It's a good month away so we'll see....

No comments:

Post a Comment